Thursday, December 22, 2011

Should An Unemployed College Grad Go For A Masters Degree?

Due to some family problems that ended with me staying a hotel for one night, I was able to have a talk with my pastor. We discussed the economy and how my being unemployed is causing problems with my mom and step-dad, even though they know I'm looking. He told me that I should go to grad school. Well, being unemployed, it should be the wise thing to do, correct? Well...


Right now I owe so much money in student loans. I know by the time I graduate from grad school, I will probably owe over 80k in student loans. What's worse is that money options for grad students are more limited than undergraduates. Being unemployed college grad with no experience, it would be hard to pay to further my education. 


Right now, I feel as if the pressure is on to complete the GRE or the GMAT to get into a graduate school. I would like to go into a different field than English -- perhaps getting my MBA, MPP, or MPA. If I do make the decision to go to grad school, it will probably be January 2013. 


Another thing my pastor told me is that he would think it would be best if I go to grad school in a different state. Honestly, I think that is a good idea. I live in Mississippi -- a place where it's more of an attraction for those who want to retire rather than going to college and settling down. 


Until January 2013, I will not stop trying to find a job. And I hope within a year that I would have educated future/current undergraduates on picking the right major, because let me say that being a unemployed college graduate is not fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment